By Ya'qūb ibn Isḥāq al-Kindī, Alfred L. Ivry
Read or Download Al-Kindi's Metaphysics: A Translation of Ya'qūb ibn Isḥāq al-Kindī's Treatise On First Philosophy (fī al-Falsafah al-Ūlā) PDF
Best philosophy books
William F. Bristow provides an unique and illuminating research of Hegel's highly influential yet notoriously tough Phenomenology of Spirit. Hegel describes the strategy of this paintings as a 'way of despair', that means thereby that the reader who undertakes its inquiry needs to be open to the event of self-loss via it.
A awesome philosopher, Gottfried Leibniz made primary contributions not just to philosophy, but additionally to the advance of contemporary arithmetic and technological know-how. on the heart of Leibniz's philosophy stands his metaphysics, an bold try and become aware of the character of fact by utilizing unaided cause.
This version replaces the sooner translation via Walter Lowrie that seemed less than the identify the concept that of Dread. besides The affliction unto demise, the paintings displays from a mental standpoint Søren Kierkegaard's longstanding hindrance with the Socratic maxim, "Know your self. " His ontological view of the self as a synthesis of physique, soul, and spirit has motivated philosophers comparable to Heidegger and Sartre, theologians equivalent to Jaspers and Tillich, and psychologists comparable to Rollo might.
The charm of philosophy has continuously been its willingness to talk to these urgent questions that hang-out us as we make our means via lifestyles. what's fact? may perhaps we expect with no language? Is materialism every thing? yet lately, philosophy has been principally absent from mainstream cultural remark.
- Re-Figuring Hayden White (Cultural Memory in the Present)
- Above Time: Emerson's and Thoreau's Temporal Revolutions
- On Insoluble Sentences: Chapter One of His Rules for Solving Sophisms (Mediaeval Sources in Translation, Vol. 21)
- The Oxford Companion to Philosophy (New Edition)
- The Philosophy and Religion of Sri Caitanya (The Philosophical background of the Hare Krishna Movement)
- Marsilio Ficino: His Theology, His Philosophy, His Legacy by Michael Allen (Brill's Studies in Intellectual History, Volume 108)
Additional info for Al-Kindi's Metaphysics: A Translation of Ya'qūb ibn Isḥāq al-Kindī's Treatise On First Philosophy (fī al-Falsafah al-Ūlā)
7. Cf. the edition of this treatise prepared by Walzer and Michelangelo Guidi, "Studi su al-Kindi I", op. 'il, I: 372, 373. 15 and n. 15 1). }~I ~\ as such which is superior to ~W~l r}J, but only that :f~1 ~I which is received through revelation, in which case it is not metaphysics as commonly understood but a supposedly unique kind of knowledge. However, as we shall see, al-Kindi proceeds to convert this "divine knowledge" into what we commonly recognize as metaphysics. 8. Following Arthur J. 149.
II (1942) : 262-288, particularly pp. 268 ff. As regards the Muntluzkhab $iwiin al-ljikmah, it would appear on internal grounds that al-Kindi is indeed the author or the philosophical views attributed to him, and possibly or the gnomic utterances as well; though both genres and their contents are clearly indebted to ultimately Greek sources. Attributing these moralistic remarks to al-Kindi, of course, does not necessarily mean that he practised what he preached, though there is no necessity to believe he did not, either.
The "first cause" sense of cause in the Theology, pp. 205 f. Lewis /50 f. Badawi; 231 Lewis /26 Badawi; 263 Lewis /108 Badawi. 23. Cf. , pp. 271 f. Lewis/lI2 Badawi (Enn. V. l. ) ; 291 f. Lewisfl34 f. Badawi (E~n. V 2. ) ; and the "Dicta Sapientis Badawi. , God) with any scheme which would show how this One relates to the world. Cf. FP, p. 132. 24. Cf. FP, pp. 140-143. 25. , p. 151; this whole discussion being in FP pp. 143 If. cr. Plotinus' discussion of number, Theology, pp. 271 Lewis /113 Badawi (Enn.
Al-Kindi's Metaphysics: A Translation of Ya'qūb ibn Isḥāq al-Kindī's Treatise On First Philosophy (fī al-Falsafah al-Ūlā) by Ya'qūb ibn Isḥāq al-Kindī, Alfred L. Ivry